Monday, February 7, 2011

#13 Historic Cardwell

Well this one had special meaning. Not because of the cache but because of how I came to find it. I am going to tell you a bit of a story for this one. Amazing that this one would be so unusual as it is my 13th find and 13  is a special number for me :)


My brother ( Brahms 6 ) got me into geocahing because of the interesting logs that he posts on his blog. I have been following them for a while and thought yep I can do this. Well He lives and works in Cairns. Me I work in Brisbane and we rarely get together.

Thanks to cyclone Yasi, today I met up with him for a half hour chat in what was left of Cardwell. You see I am a Truckie and I had the privledge of delivering a generator to Mission Beach. I was one of the first commercial vehicles to get into Cardwell, Tully or Mission Beach after Yasi. He is an Ambo (or as he would say An ambulance officer ) and he was in Cardwell checking up on the station and people. As I was leaving and heading back home we got together for half an hour and had a bit of a chat but due to both our jobs it was probably shorter than I would have liked. As you can imagine we chatted geocaching for a couple of minutes and I mentioned that I had tried to get a cache in Mission Beach but due to lack of service and all the trees being blown away it was impossible.

He told me of this nice little cache on the way out of town that didn't rely on trees so might still be there. Well it was and I stopped and grabbed it. This is the first one that we have both got so it is a bit special. It is also most likely that this is the first cache gotten in the Yasi impact area so again a little bit special.

I am going to post a couple of photos of this one, because I am certain that many of the previous finders with be amazed by the difference in the area.

So thank you to Ballbag&Bumblebee for the cache and I hope Yasi didn't knock you about to much.I must say from the short time I spent up there, you North Queenslanders are a tough lot so I know you will come back stronger for the experience.

Cheers Geoff1313

No comments:

Post a Comment